Monday, May 31, 2010

every little bit counts

i met a man at a parking ticket dispensing machine 2 weeks ago. he was pressing at the buttons vigorously, trying to get his ticket printed, and he pondered aloud, why wasn't it printing. i asked if he had entered his car license number. he tried again but that wasn't it. then it hit him, he didn't insert the minimum payment. so he did and the out came the ticket. he looked triumphant. meanwhile, i muttered under my breath, darn, i'm short 20 cents. he immediately turned to me and handed me the rest of his coins. i refused at first but he smiled and insisted. i thanked him profusely though it was just a few coins, he owed me nothing but left me deeply moved by this simple act of kindness. this young malay man has inspired me, that every little bit of kindness counts and that kindness transcends all...

Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.

- Adam Gordon

i'm glad on this day that i recall this little story, to have read this little poem and to have this opportunity to share...

No comments:

Post a Comment